Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Lentil Loaf



I usually make the entire thing, parse it into 2 or 3 containers, make 1 and freeze the others (defrost overnight in the fridge before cooking). 


Lentil Loaf


4 cups water or vegetable broth
2 cups lentils (I prefer french, but green or brown will work)
2 diced medium yellow onions
3tbsp minced garlic
1/4c ketchup
1/2c seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2c chopped parsley
2tbsp Italian seasoning
2tsp chopped thyme
3tbsp soy sauce
2tbsp worcestershire sauce
1tsp brown pepper. 





Cook the lentils in the water for an hour or until done. Cool for half an hour and then mash into a paste. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well (I use my hands). Put into dishes. Baste, if you'd like. I use a combination of ketchup, mustard, A1, worcestershire sauce, bbq sauce- really, whatever I feel like at the time. I baste the loaf every 10 minutes during cooking. (cook 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees). I serve the sauce with the loaf. 


Calories (without sauce): 225c per serving (serves 8)  (**calories for sauce will depend on what you put in it)